The interest in creating child safe home environments has given a rise to a whole new industry.
consultants are available to childproof homes, and builders are constructing child-safe houses.
safety is a concern for children of all ages, this childproofing checklist primarily addresses issues of safety
for infants, toddlers, and other young children.
If your children sleep in bunk beds:
- Are all unused indoor and outdoor electric outlets plugged up with childproof outlet covers or protected in other ways? Are all electrical cords from appliances and lamps out of reach?
- Are all loose or slippery rugs removed from your home?
- Are all sharp objects such as toothpicks, needles, knives, scissors, and other tools out of your child's reach?
- Is your furniture placed away from the windows so that children can't climb on the sills?
- Do you have childproof window guards?
- Have you installed childproof gates for stairs that are securely fastened to posts or to the walls?
- Are your kitchen cabinets or cupboards locked with childproof cabinet locks?
- Do you place colorful child safe window decals
on floor-to-ceiling glass doors and windows, to alert children to their presence?
- When children are active in the house, do you block the door or window by placing furniture in front of the glass?
- Have you installed childproof doorknob covers on door knobs to reduce the chance of your child opening doors to unsafe rooms?
- Have you installed child safety anti tip furniture straps on all freestanding bookshelves and tall cabinets and checked for stability?
- Are dishwashers, refrigerators, washers, and dryers kept securely closed with child proof refigerator latches or child safety appliance latches? Childproof Kitchen Gadgets
- Do you have child proof toilet locks? Bathroom Safety Devices
- Do not allow a child under 6 years of age to sleep on the top bunk.
- Does the bunk bed come pre-installed with a child safe bunk bed ladder?
- Is the ladder fastened securely?
- Have you installed child bed safety rails?
- Have you installed child proof dvd guards
so that children can't stick their fingers inside dvd players, vcr recorders, or similar products?
- Are the sharp corners of your tables covered with child proof corner guards or padded bumbers?
- Do you use placemats in place of a table cloth so that children do not pull off the cloth along with everything else on the table?
- Have you placed non-slip child safety bath decals on the bottom of your bathtub?
- Do you have a child safe bathroom step stool so that children can climb up and down and sit more securely?
We hope that this childproofing checklist helps you get a start to make your home safe for your child and to help you
find the best child proof items. We will be adding to the list as we receive comments from visitors that feel certain
topics should be addressed.
After viewing our Childproofing Checklist visit our Child Safety Products Store
Return from Childproofing Checklist to My Child Safety.